History of Police Department
Charles Lindbergh Parade, East
October 18, 1927
Photo linked to East Point Police web site.
Click HERE to link to East
Point Police Department History page for complete story.
Trains of the early and mid 1900's
by Robert West
East Point, Georgia, Circa 1949
Here is a boyhood favorite memory of Robert's at East Point, Georgia
north of Cleveland avenue towards the interlocking tower which has since
been torn down, given way to the modern electronic centralized traffic
control now handled out of Jacksonville. East Point was originally the
eastern most terminus of the Atlanta and West Point railroad and due to its
strategic importance East Point became the seventh largest industrial city
in the state of Georgia up until the 1970's. Here is where Robert would ride
his bicycle to and timed so that he would arrive so he would catch the East
Point route of the afternoon Southern Crescent in route to New Orleans. The
primary Crescent went to Birmingham and on to New Orleans, and the secondary
Crescent went by East Point, College Park, Newnan, LaGrange, West Point,
Opelika, and then on to New Orleans. Here we are looking at the Crescent
pulled by the 290, alongside the Southbound Central of Georgia Flamingo, on
its way to Jacksonville, pulled by Diesels, in the transition era of the
50's. What also is unique about this is the Southern #290 is owned by the
Atlanta Chapter of the NRHS and is currently being restored at the Duluth
Railway museum. Robert actually painted this several years ago and has
decided to now release it as a print.
Print Size 23" x 2-3/4", Image Size 22" x 11", ©2001 Mainline MemoriesThe above print can be purchased signed for $30 at
History of Connelly Family
Pioneer settlers, Thomas W.
Connelly his wife and Temperance Peacock, pose in front of their East Point
home in 1883. The couple had sixteen children. Standing with
them is their granddaughter, Electa and their domestic servant, Aunt Martha.
Jimmy Knight writes, "Richard
Carroll and I used to play on the remains of the old Connelly Plantation
slave houses. One time Elizabeth Leverette (Diane Leverette’s mother) told
us a story about some kids finding a man hanging on a tree near the old
Connelly house. It must have been around 1925 or so. The Connelly’s of
East Point go back to around 1830, more than 20 years before East Point was
named. The Connelly cemetery still exists."
click on photo to see an enlarged view.
East Point Historical Society
Established by the East Point Woman's Club, the East Point
Historical Society celebrated the opening of it's Headquarters on December 2, 1979. Today
it resides at the renovated Morgan House, which had been donated to the City by Earl
Edmondson [a 57 Graduate]
and was relocated to it's current location at 1685 Norman Berry Drive, East Point,
With more space and greater accessibility, the Society has been able to expand both its
collections and service to the community. The historical society's extensive collections
include historic maps of East Point, railroad memorabilia, historic photographs,
scrapbooks, manuscripts and diaries, and a collection of oral history audio tapes and
transcriptions, and bound volumes of Atlanta's Suburban Reporter dated 1931-1970.
Click HERE for more information
East Point Historical Society Complex
Train located about where the old public pool used to be.
Anyone have pictures of the old pool or the original old, old pool?
House was moved to this site
from it's original location
Donated by Earl Edmundson (class of '57)
Best to visit on
Thursday and Saturday